Official Site of New York Times Bestseller Ace Atkins

Friday, September 7, 2012

Defending Bob, Bogart, and Britney

As I finish up the latest Spenser, I'm a little behind in my blogging. The good news is that I'm about to wrap that project. In fact, I had a little time to write an essay that ran this week in Newsweek/The Daily Beast. The subject was a response to longtime book critic Malcolm Jones dismissing not only the idea of John Banville writing a new Philip Marlowe novel but for anyone to take on a series originated by a late author. I had a lot to say on the subject as you'll see in the piece called "The Trouble With Heroes" but renamed for the Beast as Leave Banville Alone! . . . apologies to Britney.
Comments:
First.let me butter you up. I am a new fan, on the strength of your channeling Bob Parker in "LULLABY."
I've gone back and read ALL of your books, and I'm hooked. Now, one teensy criticism: when you have Spenser look TO Hawk (insert any other names, if you wish), Bob would have had Spenser look AT Hawk. Probably some regional thing. It's minor, but a bit distracting. Still, I am eagerly awaiting the next SPENSER and the next Quinn Colson adventure and the next Nick Travers, if you are so inclined. No pressure, of course!
 
I've been a Robert Parker fan for many years and still haven't read all his books. Some are hard to find. I am now reading "Lullaby" and I must say, you've done a wonderful job of continuing the Spenser stories. I've ordered "The Lost Ones" and can't wait to see what you're publishing next! Thank you!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]