Official Site of New York Times Bestseller Ace Atkins

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Shiner Bocks at the Texas Chili Parlor


I'm in Austin tonight at 5 for a reading at the world-famous BookPeople. My buddy Jesse Sublett will be singing a few murder ballads between chapters. Jesse is not only the founding member of The Skunks but also a terrific writer of novels and histories.

On the road from Houston to Austin, I did make my annual pilgrimage to the Southside Market in Elgin. Best brisket I've ever had.

After the reading tonight, I'll probably wander down to the Texas Chili Parlor for some Shiner Bocks. You may know the bar from Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof. The inside of the bar looks pretty much like the movie. But you won't find a parking lot or back porch. That was added from Tarantino's imagination. Here is one of my favorite scenes in the movie with music by Joe Tex.

Speaking of Quentin. I think Quentin would definitely appreciate Quinn. Much like Death Proof, The Ranger is my tribute to some of those terrific 1970s drive-in movies. More on that tomorrow . . .
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]