Official Site of New York Times Bestseller Ace Atkins

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Phenix City kingpin's gaming box for sale on ebay


When I'm researching the past, I've found one of the best sources is just a click away on ebay. I've bought incredible pieces of history from old Tampa, 1920s San Francisco, and on Phenix City, Alabama back when it was the "Wickedest City in America." Right now, I'm working on a screenplay based on my novel Wicked City and recently went back to ebay searching for old postcards of motels from that era. Within the long list of items selling for a few bucks was a wooden box filled with ivory gaming chips that's said to have belonged to famed Phenix City gamber, Pete Hargett. Pete was one of the major criminals and gamblers in Phenix City in the '40s and '50s. According to the seller, he was gunned down by the local sheriff. Now it was actually Pete's brother -- Guy Hargett -- who was killed by Assistant Sheriff Albert Fuller in '49. If you've read Wicked City, you'll understand why the police shooting has always been a little suspicious. But the story accompanying the box -- on sale for a mere $2,5000 -- is worth a look.
Comments:
Ace, my mother -- who was born, grew up, and lived her entire long life in Phenix City -- always said this: "When it comes to Phenix City, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."
 
That's a terrific quote, Fred. I'm going to try and work it into the screenplay. Hope to be back in P.C. soon.
 
this line:

Trust none of what you hear/And less of what you see

From Springsteen "Magic"

a nice ditty IMHO.

Also, read Syd Field - plot points!
 
I'm the grand daughter of Pete hargett and guy hargett is my uncle and its very interesting that this is being sd on here I would much love to have what your selling on here of my familys. Considering that he did not die by the hands of a sheriffs but by alcoholisem and by my dads age age of 4 that being said I think everyone should find out the eeal storys before they post such things. Thank you mrs hargett.

 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]